Wednesday, March 11

Do you speak English?

Blogging two days in a row? Crazy, I know. Anywho, last night I went to Tucano's (Brazilian Grill) with a couple of friends visiting from England. John and I ordered the delicious Brazilian Lemonade to drink. Ellen wasn't sure what to drink, so the waiter started describing his favorite drink - fruits blended with vanilla ice cream, etc. Sounded YUMMY! Anyway, Ellen asked if the drink was fizzy. The waiter gave her a very confused look, so she repeated herself - just in case he hadn't heard her over the cacophony that surrounded us. Still looking confused, he looked to me for a translation. So, being bilingual (speaking both English and American - actually I'm trilingual since I also speak French) I said "you know, carbonated?" Ah, yes, that cleared up everything. After that everything the waiter described was "fizzy."
"Can I interest you in a fizzy dessert?" "Do you want to fill out a fizzy survey?"

2 comments:

Miss L said...

lol...what a fizzy post! Was your waiter from Brazil?

Katie said...

Oddly enough, no. He was a young American. I would have understood a little bit if he, too, had been a foreigner.