Saturday, June 7

Who's your daddy?

I spent a week working in Colorado Springs back in April. As I've said, my brother lives near the Springs in Monument. He's the president or CEO of some computer microchip company, or something. Anywho, in April, he was telling me how the business reporter for the Colorado Spring Gazette (the paper where I was training software classes) was going to interview him later that week, and how he had printed misinformation about my brother's company and employees on a previous occasion. As you can imagine, my brother didn't have many (if any) complimentary things to say about this reporter.

So, I'm sitting in my class one morning when this gentleman walks in, interrupting my class, and asks, "Is there a Blomquist in here?"

I raise my hand.

He says, "I just spoke to your dad on the phone." Wow, since my dad has been dead since 1992, that reporter must have a better phone plan than I do.

I gently correct him by saying, "My brother?"

"Yes, your brother."

Insert more small talk here. He then says, "I'm going to interview your dad later this week."

Another gentle correction, "My brother?"

"Yes."

More talk, then, "Your dad's the president of a computer company here."

Not so gentle, "You mean my brother?"

"Yes."

After he leaves, my entire class bursts into laughter. They don't have that high of an opinion of him either. Now, granted, if Harold had a love child at age 18, he COULD be my dad, but he's not.

I immediately call Harold to tell him. Harold laughs (in a disdainful way) and tells me that when the reporter had called him earlier that morning, Harold mentioned that a beautiful blond relative of his (I assume he meant me) was training classes at the paper. "Oh, your daughter?" "No, my sister."

Fast forward to this past week. When my friends/co-workers and I were having dinner with my brother on Monday, I had to tell this story, it was so funny. Then, either on Tuesday or Wednesday, this reporter sees me and comes over to talk to me.

"Blomquist, right?"

"Yes, that's me.

"How's dad doing?"

"He's fine."

I give up. Some people never listen.

2 comments:

Miss L said...

OHHOLYCOW!!!!! Great post. Sorry you had to deal with said insensitive prat, but GREAT story.

Love ya! :) L

Gina said...

A couple days ago when I read this, I really wanted to come up to you at work and ask how your Dad was... too bad you weren't in your office. I know, I'm lame.