Thursday, May 22

Instructional ≠ Beginner

Tonight was my first night participating in a bowling league. I was bowling last Saturday and the owner of the bowling alley approached me about participating in a Women's Instructional League. Hmmm... instructional... that would be helpful. Learning how to bowl with a bunch of other beginners? Awesome! And my mom and dad were both big bowlers back in the day. My mom bowled in a Women's League, my dad in a Men's League, and they bowled together in a Mixed League.

I arrived at the bowling alley a little early. I've been looking forward to this, and I'm ready to learn. However, as several of the other women arrive, I realize that I'm in trouble - most of them have their own bowling ball. Strike One (pun totally intended). Then, ALL the women start putting on their own bowling shoes. Strike Two. My bowling partner was this adorable septuagenarian who starts telling me about all of the bowling tournaments she's participated in and how she's been bowling in leagues for the past 50 years. Strike Three. So much for bowling with other beginners, eh?

My bowling score has improved greatly over the past few months - I frequently bowl with co-workers, my friend, Amanda and my roommate, Jeff. However, my first game this evening was appalling. I wanted to sue the instructor for false advertising. Instructional, my foot. However, it wasn't false advertising - we did get a lot of instruction, which is actually really cool, but as I'm trying to correct months of bad posture, bad ball handling, etc., I just bowled poorly (I didn't even break 100). All I could do was laugh. Yes, there was a point in the evening where I wanted to cry, but I laughed and laughed instead. My poor bowling partner - who's high score was 181 (seriously, she's in her 70's and she bowled a 181?) - was trying to be so encouraging. It was adorable.

I will persevere, of course. Now that I know what to expect, how much worse can it get, right?

2 comments:

Miss L said...

I'm a terrible bowler. I took a class in college and I had a "C" average based on the number of pins I got. I aced the final (which was scoring) and got a "B" in the class, which I happily took. It was a fun class, but man-o-man, I'm the pits. You'll have to keep us updated on your progression!!!! :)

Gina said...

That is awesome you joined a league. I want to do that someday. I am sure I'll feel just as dumb though... you are a trooper to smile through it. You'll be doing 181 in no time.