Friday, May 9

I'm a Scandanavian blue-eyed blond


I previously mentioned an additional story relating to my being a blue-eyed blond. So, in January I spent two weeks in Mexico City working with the three trainers that comprise my company's Mexico City office. Over the weekend, my friend Lisa (who also works with us) flew down for some fun in the sun. On Friday, Blanca, Lisa (a fair-skinned redhead) and I drove to a small town called Taxco.
As we were driving back to Mexico City, we were stuck in traffic behind a Costco truck - don't even get me started on the Americanization of the world - did you know that there is a Hooters in Mexico City? Anyway, I digress. As often happens in Mexico, there were children at the road side selling food items to keep one cool. These food items ranged from cucumbers to jicama to some things I'm not even sure about. A young girl, maybe 9 or 10, approached the passenger side of the car. Picture the scene...Blanca was driving, I was in the passenger seat, and Lisa was in the back seat. I rolled down the window as the girl approached. When she reached the car, she looked at me, looked at Lisa, looked back at me, then finally looked at Blanca and (in Spanish) asked "Africanas?"
Now, I don't speak Spanish, but I understood what that young girl was asking. I was about to answer "si," but Blanca beat me to the punch with a resounding "no." "Gringas" was the girls second choice. Second choice. But, seriously, of ALL the countries that a blond and a redhead might be from, and Africa is the first choice? Do I really look like I'm from Africa? And we were in Mexico - Mexico borders which country?

5 comments:

Michelle said...

Funny. Is that Lisa Z? (don't even know how to attempt spelling her last name) Did I know she was working at DT again? If it is, tell her hi.

Carrie said...

Katie I love your blog! You have such a great spin on things. But honestly, you do not look more like your brothers than sisters!
How is it when I go anywhere south of the border I am a boring gringa and you get to be some exotic african? not fair!!!
By the way, while in Peru I ate at Pizza Hut and McDonalds. My inlwas went to Chilli's one night. Talk about Americanization....oh well

Katie said...

Carrie - I will admit that I ate at Chili's on the Champs Elysee, but in my defense, it was the 14th of July - extremely hot, and we knew that we could get a. ice in our drinks and b. free refills. We finally ordered chips and salsa because we felt bad with how many free refills we actually had. :-)

Gina said...

Wow, Africa. What a guess. Great story!

Carolyn said...

Katie, that is sucha funny story. How do such funny things happen to you?? I love it!