Saturday, July 12

Thursday, July 3rd

On Thursday morning we drove to Forks, Washington. For those of you who don’t know, Forks is where the vampire novels by Stephenie Meyer take place. Amanda and I are big fans of the Twilight series, so we thought we’d stop by. My nephew, Matt, thought this was hilarious, but it’s all part of the fun. What’s really interesting is that Stephenie Meyer wrote at least the first book without ever having been to Forks. We found the Chamber of Commerce, and it was a treat. The small town (I mean SMALL town) of Forks is really taking advantage of their newfound publicity – and why shouldn’t they? The Chamber of Commerce has a tourist packet dedicated just to the Twilight books. It includes maps to the locations from the books, sand from First Beach (a location in the book), etc. Forks has declared September 13th (Bella Swan’s birthday – Bella is the main character in the books) to be Stephenie Meyer day. The local hospital has assigned a parking space to Dr. Cullen (also a character in the book). The local Subway has a Twilight Sandwich and a burger place serves a Bella burger. It was really cute. I felt like I did when I was in London for the opening of the 1st Harry Potter movie, and King’s Cross Station was all decked out with Hogwarts stuff. Unfortunately, we didn’t find any hot (cold, actually), sexy vampires.




Forks is also home of the SLOWEST gas station in the world.

We continued on to Seattle. What gorgeous scenery. As we hit the suburbs of Seattle, Danielle sighed – I think she was glad to make it back to “civilization.” We stayed at a “real” hotel – a Residence Inn, and it had a TV AND a phone. AND we had cell phone reception.




Thursday night we went to a Mariners game. I ate a ballpark brat, and almost bought some Cracker Jacks. This was my first professional ball game, and it was so much fun, but would have been better if not for two things:

  1. The Mariners (we like to pronounce Marine – ers – inside joke) are the worst team in the league. We left at the top of the 9th inning when the Mariners were down 8-2 (they were playing the Detroit Tigers).
  2. I had laryngitis (which has since turned into full-fledged bronchitis), so I couldn’t cheer, scream or anything.



Tune in tomorrow (or maybe later)…

1 comments:

Miss L said...

I loved the pictures of Forks! Yay! And a professional baseball game is always fun, unless you are watching a terrible game played between two teams you could care less about. :(

AND, I'm sorry to hear you are under the weather! Hope you feel better, soon!!!!!