Tuesday, July 29

What can one do in Pittsburgh?

I’m in Pittsburgh this week for the 3rd time. No, not my third trip, but my third group of trips. I first came out to Pittsburgh several times in 2003-2004. Then again in 2006 (several times). Now the newspaper is upgrading their computer system, and they requested (I think) that I come back. Which is good because there are several people I love at the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, the Bobs, for example. The IT department at the newspaper includes 3 gentlemen named Bob – Old Bob (younger than my sister, I’m sorry to say – not really, I find it quite funny), Grumpy Bob (who is hilarious), and Young Bob (who is, I’m HAPPY to say, older than I am). In addition, contrary to what my preconceived images were, the city is quite beautiful – especially where the three rivers converge (the Monongahela River from the south, the Allegheny River from the north join the Ohio going West).

Anywho – in all the time I’ve spent in Pittsburgh, I’ve never been to a sporting event, which is sad, really, since there are three professional teams that play in Pittsburgh. The Pirates – baseball, the Steelers – football, and the Penguins – hockey. Since my hotel is right across the street from PNC Park, home of the Pirates, I decided to go to a game this week. The Pirates played the Colorado Rockies last night, and I was there. The Pirates beat the Colorado Rockies 8-4, and I was there.



Amanda says I’m a “height-ist” and maybe I am, but I was amazed at how tall the Rockies were (the players, not the mountains). Almost every player for the Rockies was at least 6’1” or 6’2” (one was 6’4”, and he was kind of a hottie). The starting players for the Pirates were 5’11”, or maybe 6’. Yes, 5’11” is almost 6’, but remember, “height-ist.”

Again, I digress. The game was a lot of fun (especially since the Pirates won). I, of course, had a hot dog and a pretzel. I refrained from having beer (joke), although all the freakishly young looking people sitting around me had enough for everyone. Crap, now I talk like an old person. Digressing. I really liked the pierogi race between innings (pierogi: eastern European – a small dough envelope filled with mashed potato, meat, cheese or vegetables, crimped to seal the edge and then boiled or fried, typically served with sour cream or onions – VERY popular in Pittsburgh).

pierogi race

I’ve never been to a professional baseball game in my life, and now I’ve been to 2 in the same month. Take me out to the ballgame. One of these times I’ll have to buy some Cracker Jacks (as I don’t like peanuts).

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Katie!

Thanks for the LinkedIn invite. (I just wish I knew what I'm supposed to do with LinkedIn ;-)

Glad you're having fun in the Burgh.

Gotta love the Bobs. (Just between you and me, though, they're no match for the Tims!)

Signed,

Tim1

p.s. Saw your list of actors. David Tennant rules! Allons-y, Alonzo!

Katie said...

I can’t believe I didn’t mention the Tims. The Tims were a lot of fun. One year, when I had to work on July 24th (Pioneer Day, a Utah holiday), the Tims and Ced put on a skit for me. Pittsburgh was a great project because I only had to remember 4 names for 7 people – The Bobs, The Tims, Bill and Ced.

Miss L said...

Yay Pittsburgh! I'm so happy you had a great baseball experience. lol. It looked like a lot of fun.